Director, Business Development (Legal Counsel) — UCLA Technology Development Group
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS: Director, Business Development (Legal Counsel) — UCLA Technology Development Group
UCLA Technology Development Group
The University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) is known worldwide for the breadth and quality of its academic, research, health care, cultural, continuing education and athletics programs. The faculty at UCLA comprise one of the most intellectually productive academic communities in the nation, and the institution receives over $1 billion in extramural research funding annually. The UCLA Technology Development Group (TDG) is a group of professional staff dedicated to commercializing technology, collaborating with industry, and fostering entrepreneurship. TDG is led by Amir Naiberg, the Associate Vice Chancellor for Intellectual Property & Industry Sponsored Research, and President & CEO of Westwood Technology Transfer (WTT), a nonprofit company wholly controlled by UCLA that is focused on protecting and optimizing the discoveries and inventions developed through UCLA research.
Director, Business Development (Legal Counsel)
The Director, Business Development (Legal Counsel) handles a broad range of corporate transactions and technology commercialization issues, including advising and drafting intellectual property licenses and sponsored research agreements. The Director of BD is responsible for assisting the group on legal matters relating to the licensing of technology to existing companies, formation of new companies, establishment of research and technology partnerships, and enhancing the value of UCLA’s technological assets. Serving the entire UCLA campus, UCLA Health Sciences, and Westwood Technology Transfer, the Director of BD provides legal support and guidance, including aiding in negotiations, drafting, strategy, and providing IP-related advice on copyright, trademark, patent matters, and use of name.
The Director of Business Development reports to the Associate Vice Chancellor for Intellectual Property & Industry Sponsored Research, and President & CEO of Westwood Technology Transfer.
- J.D. from an accredited law school and a member, in good standing with the California state bar.
- 5-8 years of legal experience as a commercial lawyer, most of them in a private law firm, or in-house counsel for an academic institution, corporation or other entity, or equivalent experience.
- Thorough understanding of intellectual property law, including drafting experience of patent license agreements and startup company formation.
- Ability to interact effectively with University academic and administrative staff, outside attorneys, senior academic leaders, and business professionals in order to facilitate complex collaborative relationships.
- Proven ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise discretion and tact when handling sensitive or potentially sensitive issues.
- Demonstrated commitment to the highest ethical standards.
Interested applicants should send their resume/CV, cover letter, and salary requirements to Laura Van Nostrand, Director of Human Resources, UCLA Technology Development Group – firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy. UC Nondiscrimination & Affirmative Action Policy