Senior Director, BioPharmaceuticals — UCLA Technology Development Group
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS: Senior Director, BioPharmaceuticals — UCLA Technology Development Group
UCLA Technology Development Group
The University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) is known worldwide for the breadth and quality of its academic, research, health care, cultural, continuing education and athletics programs. The faculty at UCLA comprise one of the most intellectually productive academic communities in the nation, and the institution receives over $1 billion in extramural research funding annually. The UCLA Technology Development Group (TDG) is a group of professional staff dedicated to commercializing technology, collaborating with industry, and fostering entrepreneurship. TDG is led by Amir Naiberg, the Associate Vice Chancellor for Intellectual Property & Industry Sponsored Research, and President & CEO of Westwood Technology Transfer (WTT), a nonprofit company wholly controlled by UCLA that is focused on protecting and optimizing the discoveries and inventions developed through UCLA research.
Senior Director, BioPharmaceuticals
The Senior Director, BioPharmaceuticals leads a group of seven professional staff that formally transfers a diverse portfolio of biopharmaceutical inventions from the University to the industrial sector. These activities include evaluation of inventions, industry marketing, licensing of intellectual property rights, prosecution of patent applications, and support to other University units in university-industry research collaboration matters. The Senior Director develops strategies for inventions in the BioPharmaceuticals group’s portfolio from initial receipt to final disposition, and will work on all commercial activities of the technologies under their responsibility. The Senior Director also takes personal responsibility for some of the more complex cases and agreements, including managing an invention/licensing portfolio and serving as a business partner to key campus organizations.
The Senior Director for BioPharmaceuticals reports to the Associate Vice Chancellor for Intellectual Property & Industry Sponsored Research, and President & CEO of Westwood Technology Transfer.
- At least five years relevant experience (with intellectual property, negotiation, licensing, venture capital, business development and/or product development in an industry, VC start-up, or life science-based environment). Preference will be given to technology transfer experience.
- Knowledge of patent law and demonstrated understanding of the technical and legal issues affecting protection, use, and exploitation of intellectual property.
- Ability to interact effectively with University academic and administrative staff, attorneys, and business professionals in order to facilitate complex collaborative relationships.
- Ability to analyze complex technical data using logic and quantitative reasoning.
- Advanced degree (PHD in Biology and/or MD) with at least 5 years of experience in business development. Additional advanced degree in business or law will be preferred.
Interested applicants should send their resume/CV, cover letter, and salary requirements to Laura Van Nostrand, Director of Human Resources, UCLA Technology Development Group – email@example.com.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy. UC Nondiscrimination & Affirmative Action Policy